Breakthrough to Literacy
Mother-tongue literacy course for the first three years of schooling
Breakthrough to Literacy ( BTL ) is a literacy programme developed by the School’s’ Council in the UK and adapted by the Molteno Project for the African language schools.
Main Characteristics of Breakthrough to Literacy
- Learner-centeredness: Encourages active participation in the learning process.
- Ability Grouping: Enables each learner to move at his/her own pace within a supportive group.
- Self-pacing: Allows individual learners to select their next phase of development.
- Small- group work: Provides a secure learning environment and ongoing consolidation.
- Critical thinking: Develops crucial thinking skills and enables learners to work independently.
- Phonic regularity: Capitalises on the phonic regularity and spelling systems of indigenous African languages.